Friday, April 12, 2013

3.07 Free Blog Choice

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

Chapter 1

In the first chapter of this book, readers are introduced to the three main characters: Sumire, a man only identified as K, who is the narrator of the novel, and Miu. The story is set in Tokyo.  K and Sumire met in college, but while she dropped out to pursue being a novelist he became an elementary school teacher. They met accidentally but eventually began to spend a lot of time together, deep down they were very lonely people and they felt they could only trust each other. Sumire never viewed K in a romantic way, their relationship was platonic, as had been most of Sumires relationships with men. She had never been in love, or really cared about it until she meets Miu at a wedding reception. Miu is a much older woman than Sumire, and everything she is not. Sumire is messy and average looking, wearing clothes that are mismatched and many sizes too big, while Miu is beautiful, elegant, and classy. Here the narrator uses a lot of compare and contrast in his organization style. The two began to get to know each other and it becomes known that Miu is a busniess woman, who imports and exports wine from different places in Europe. Sumire explains to her that she wants to write, and has never really had a real job in her life. The two bond over a love of classical music and by the end of the night, Sumire has a new job to attend to and has decided she has finally fallen in love. The chapter ends with Sumire calling K to explain to him everything that has happened, and her being very confused about what she is to do next.

I enjoyed the first chapter of the book because it was a good introduction of all the characters and of the setting that left me wanting to know more. I also found a quote that I really liked; it was when Sumire was talking about her writing."My head is like some ridiculous barn packed full of stuff I want to write about. Images, scenes, snatches of words... In my mind they're all glowing, all alive. Write! They shout at me. A great new story is about to be born- I can feel it. It'll transport me to some brand new place. Problem is, once I sit at my desk and put all these down on paper, I realize something vital is missing. It doesn't crystallize- no crystals, just pebbles, and I'm not transported anywhere."  The narrator mainly used compare and contrast organization is his writing, touching on the differences between his self and Sumire and also between Sumire and Miu.  

21 comments:

  1. Hello Riane! "Sputnik Sweetheart" is such an interesting title for the book, can you explain to me what "sputnik" means? As for the character "K", why is he not presented with his real name? It sounds like such an enjoyable but difficult book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie! I'm glad that you are interested in this book. It actually is a very difficult read! I read it twice just to fully grasp the concept of it. Sputnik is kind of a joke between the characters Sumire and Miu, when they met they talked about Jack Kerouac, and Miu accidentally referred to him as a Sputnik instead of a beatnik! But she also said that he was similar to a Sputnik all the same because he was so unique in his work at the time. Through out the book, Miu calls Sumire her Sputnik sweetheart! Also, I am not sure why the author never revealed K's full name, but he is known for keeping that air of mystery in all of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why was it so difficult to read? Was it the vocabulary, connotations, or a mixture of all? And oh! I love when authors make the title of the book something that the characters shared, it's much like a descriptive hint because it may seem irrelevant but in the end it had much importance, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes definitely! And then when you find the reference to the title in the book, it all makes a little more sense.
    The book was difficult because it was a mix of all both and then more. The author had this theme of alternate realities in which was very confusing, but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOOKS ARE AWESOME RIANE! I absolutely love books and much like "Sputnik Sweetheart" just because it seems so intriguing! Can you tell me more about this book, like some important supporting details?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes and so is reading! I think people can learn so much from it, it's sad that not as many people enjoy it anymore. What are some other books you enjoy?
    Some of the books supporting details was that the settings were in Japan and a tiny Greek island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My type of books are romance and mystery novels, that's why "Sputnik Sweetheart" would be a perfect match! How about yourself? Wow! Why didn't you mention earlier that it took place in Japan, that's very important and quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really would! I really enjoy mystery novels as well, and poetry. I got the drama genre in my "What type of reader are you" quiz! You should go check that post out!
    Yes the setting is very important, that's why I mentioned it now! It was very cool to read a book from the perspective of a different culture to see just how different and yet alike it is to ours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poetry is hard for me to grasp because it is all metaphors but it's quite impressive that you can understand it so thoroughly, so I applaud you. The drama genre definitely suits you and I will definitely check it! It's so intriguing how we all live in plant Earth but all act so differently, it's pretty amazing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much! Your concern is very understandable, but overtime it becomes easier to understand. If you'd like, I can introduce you to some poetry that you might like! It's great to share with other people don't you agree?
    I definitely agree Rosie, it is a great contradiction in life, which I think happens often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Riane, I checked the "what type of reader are you" quiz and I got Fiction. Do you believe that suits me? And I would love if you showed me poetry but maybe some that I don't have to infer so much, baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that sounds about right! You seem to enjoy stories not based on real events, but that doesn't make the quality any less great!
    And yes of course, baby steps! I can show you some simple stuff in class to see if you enjoy it, if you'd like?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love if you showed me poetry in class. In addition, what were some persuasive techniques used in "Sputnik Sweetheart?" and can you give examples?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you referring to ethos, logos, and pathos?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exactly! Please give me some examples so I can further understand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I think this book contained mostly pathos, which is emotional appeal, for the characters to get their opinion across to the readers. Also Rosie, I have a few questions for you! Is there anything you think I could do to improve my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe many books use pathos just to lure in the audience! Your blog contains a lot of information that is sometimes overwhelming so you should pinpoint the main ideas oppose to implicating the details. Do you recommend "Sputnik Sweetheart" to a young audience?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alright, thank you for the input I think it will be very helpful! I do not recommend it for an especially young audience, because it contains a lot of mature content. It is more suited for high school students who are not uncomfortable with those topics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad I was of assistance and I'm also glad you took my opinion into consideration. Oh well thank you for letting me know! This book has to be my favorite out of your whole blog, it contains a lot of inferences and allusions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed reading my blog, and I'm glad we were able to collaborate and discuss this with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope to do this again with you Riane! Thank you for giving me your honest opinions and showing me things that I had not realized before, like how important vocabulary is. It was a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete